Robin Austin, Civil Celebrant

Personalised ceremonies


Once you have chosen me as your celebrant

  • You will need to register with me your intention to get married.​
    We can fill in the form together or you can download it from here. Scroll down to 'Forms for Download'. Complete the form and bring it with you. The form is called a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM). I need to have it a minimum or one month before your wedding day.

  • I will need to see some ID showing your date and place of birth (usually birth certificate or passport) and some photo ID. A passport is usually easiest because that does both. Another good option is a birth certificate and drivers licence. There are also a few other documents you can use. I can tell you which if needed.
  • If you have been married before I will also need to see your divorce certificate or decree absolute.


A few days before the wedding

  • You will need to sign a form declaring you are eligible to marry. This means that you are old enough, you are not already married and you are not in a 'prohibited relationship' with the person you wish to marry (eg brother, sister, parent, child)


On the day

  • You and I will need to say a few prescribed words in the ceremony. There aren't many.
    ​I have to identify myself and say that I am authorised to marry you
    I have to state the legal nature of marriage
    I have to ask you both if you want to marry the other person
    You have to say you do (want to  marry them)
    You have to declare in front of everyone as witnesses that you are taking the other one to be your husband/wife
    At the end I have to declare you to be married
    The Australian Government provides specific words that must be used for each of these, but there are some options, so it's no longer just the very traditional, old fashioned words.

  • You will need to choose two witnesses - usually close friends, parents or other family members.
  • The two of you, your two witnesses and I will need to sign three marriage certificates:
    One for the Government to keep as the official record
    One for you
    One that I keep


If you have any special circumstances

Sometimes a couple's situation may be a little complicated. Perhaps there's a genuine urgency, overseas documents may not be available, or you're not sure about the status of an overseas ceremony, one of you may currently be out of the country, or even 'under age'. I'll explain what if anything your circumstances mean for you and tell you exactly what you need to do and how to go about it.


Names after marriage

There is no legal requirement to take a spouse's name after marriage, but if you do choose to do so you will need legal evidence of this to change your name on official documents like a driving licence or passport. Government agencies and other institutions (like banks) will usually accept a copy of your official marriage certificate, which you will need to request from the Births, Deaths and Marriages registry in Adelaide. There is a fee for this.

The certificate you receive on your wedding day is not recognised as a document of identity or name because there is not sufficient information on this attractive but very abbreviated certificate.

A marriage is
two special friends
who blend their lives
as one,

Who pledge to love
with all their hearts
until their lives
are done

Larry Howland